To survive in America as a Black man, make yourself small | Marlon James

No matter how skinny I made myself – and I shrunk into an anorexia of sorts – in society’s mirror I was still not small enough

After George Floyd was killed by the police in Minneapolis, I wrote about all the ways I have had to make myself small living here as a Black man. The question begs to be asked— are my reflections from last summer as true today as they were then? The answer is yes, for one reason: This essay was not a response to George Floyd’s murder but Philando Castile’s in 2017. That it should reappear four years later unchanged is answer enough. There are some stories that we share in the hope of never telling again, so it says something that is a retelling, of the retelling, of a story. “How long must we sing this song?” U2 sangs on Sunday Bloody Sunday. It’s a powerful question, as urgent now and it was in 1983. But the answer never comes –Marlon James

***

Continue reading...

from US news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/1Zwv3jN
Top rated Digital marketing. From $30 Business growth strategy Hello! I am Sam, a Facebook blueprint certified marketer. Expert in Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, Google Ads, YouTube Ads, and SEO. I use SEMrush and other tools for data-driven research. I can build million-dollar marketing strategy for your business.
Learn more